Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Peace Out

I was working on my memory verses without my "cheatsheet" spiral notebook yesterday, and I was all twisted up on my very first one. Partly because I'd been reading it recently in a different version than I had "memorized" it, and partly because I'm on somewhere around my 14th verse for the year (I'm behind) and I seem to be running out of room in my head.

I used to be in theater!!! I used to memorize monologues and music! Good grief! I even wrote lyrics for myself that were ridiculously wordy. I never had a problem like this. It's either age or stress or I'm just losing my chops. Out of practice. Drives me crazy!

So anyway, that's not really why I got on here. The thing is, one of Mike's Bibles was handy (he has them all over the house) when I got lost on James 3:17, so I looked it up. The particular version was different (again), but it still helped. And I read the verse after it (that would be James 3:18).

It says, "And the fruit of righteousness is sown in peace by those who make peace." So I start thinking about that. What the heck does that mean? If you're a peacemaker and you sow (or plant) peace, you'll grow righteousness? How's that work?

Peacemakers strive to keep things peaceful, I would gather. But doesn't making peace mean compromise? And compromise isn't always good, especially in terms of values and beliefs. Plus, it seems to me that in times of peace, people have a tendency to grow complacent and selfish and mean, until it stops being peaceful again. I don't see righteousness there.

Hmmmm...ok. Reel it in. This whole Bible study thing can be dangerous. I read two verses out of context, and I've got a whole blossoming thought process of contradictions and confusion.

What is James about? Spiritual maturity.

What is he talking about specifically in Chapter 3 here? Keeping our mouths shut.

So as he's wrapping up his discussion about taming our tongues with the wisdom from above (which among other things has a characteristic of peacemaking), does it make sense that he would suddenly start talking about large general cultural concepts? I'm thinking no.

I think this is advice for getting along with people. And the way to do that is to seek God's wisdom (and I hear He just gives it to people who ask for it). And you'll recognize it by its gentleness, peacefulness and resulting righteousness (or as it says in verse 17, "full of mercy and good deeds, showing no favoritism and always sincere").

So I just wanted to kind of write that all out to clear it up in my head. Peace out!

No comments: