Monday, July 4, 2011

Baby Steps

Mike and I are not typically very social. We enjoy each other; we make each other laugh. Other people generally don't seem to get us. We recognize, however that we need community.

And this weekend was full of other people. Friday night we had dinner at our place for Mom's birthday - that was 5 of us. Saturday was a trip up to the north side of town for lunch with the Payton's, my folks and my brother and niece. Followed up by the family coming back to our place again to hang out. Sunday we went to two different Sunday school classes (test driving) plus church. Then we spent the evening at my brother's place with his daughter, my parents, and my other brother's family. Today we went to a 4th of July party that one of the Sunday school classes we went to was having.

As we walked up the driveway, we looked at each other. Mike says, "This feels weird."

We're standing outside some one's house we don't know. We don't know anybody, in fact.

"Let's not go in," he says.

"We can do this."

"But why?"

Now another family is making it's way up the drive.

"You told them we were coming, right?" I ask. "We can do this."

We went in. It was weird, but nice. I'm not sure a lot of them really knew each other well anyway. We chatted. We ate. We hit overload and left after about 45 minutes. It probably didn't help that Mike decided to try and quit smoking today.

We'll do better next time. It's a marathon, not a sprint, right?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I read this again....I like it.