Saturday, July 23, 2011

There Will Be Consequences

I'm concerned that the average citizen of our great nation is losing something important - a voice. In fact, I'm starting to suspect that the "great" part of our great nation, is quickly fading. I could easily be convinced that the whole voting process is a sham. How would we know?

It appears to me that the people we have elected to office have stopped caring about the country and are only looking to increase their own power and wealth and other self-interests. What's so disturbing is that they keep telling us everything they are doing is on our behalf. They are lying.

The communist system was "for the people", too.

Our system is broken, and it can only be fixed by self-sacrifice. But everyone must sacrifice - sacrificing personal perks and handouts. And because not everyone is willing to do that, and it really has to be everyone, it won't happen. It won't be fixed.

Most people are apathetic. We talk politics. We complain. But we do nothing. Those who organize and try to take a stand are generally dismissed as wackos and extremists. The rest of us just go about our business assuming nothing will really change. And we're OK with that. And then when it really does change - and not in our favor - we will be caught completely by surprise. How could this happen? Why didn't anyone do something?

And I have no recommendations. I have no hope that I could make a difference. I continue to write my representatives, but am I alone? If not, why are we not heard? In some ways I look forward to when it all comes crashing down. Just get it over with. There are consequences to how the country has been going about its business, and those consequences can be delayed but not denied. It's going to be ugly.

1 comment:

Mom said...

I agree.