Saturday, February 2, 2008

Prayer Questions

Our pastor is doing a sermon series on prayer. This has always been hard for me. Not that I don't pray; I do - often. I don't think I could hold it together without that communication with my Father. The thing I struggle with is praying for something specific - like physical healing or weather changes or finances.

I know the Bible says we have not because we ask not, but I also know that God has a plan. So regardless of my prayers, He's working His plan. What difference does it make what I want Him to do? I believe He's going to work it all out, so my praying is more like whining for my way. Really I just want Him to do what He will do, and isn't He going to do that anyway?

I listen to a local Christian radio station that is always calling on listeners to pray for people who have called or emailed in prayer requests. It seems weird to me. They say things like "Pray that everyone's going to be ok" or "keep these families in your prayers". I really don't get it. Will God change His mind about what's happening because more of us are praying?

And we all have a different idea of what "ok" is (as far as everyone being ok). I think "ok" would mean God worked His plan in my life. That might mean I am physically injured or suffer a loss or fail in some way. Or it might mean the opposite. Other people see "ok" as being unaffected by potentially harmful events. Others interpret "ok" as suffering only minor scrapes and bruises. So how can I pray for everyone to be "ok" when most people won't be satisfied with "ok" as I define it?

Obviously I have some questions that need answering. So....pray for me!

No comments: