Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Duty Calls

I have been released from jury duty. It was anti-climactic. That sense of not wanting my life to be interrupted by this annoying civic duty was contrasted with an excitement at an opportunity to participate in this fascinating process. I've only been called once before (in Reno) and was released then, as well. I've never even been asked any questions. My number doesn't get called and I get sent home.

In comparing my two experiences, I have to say that Harris County has a much nicer set up than Washoe (although it might have actually been a federal jury I was called for in Reno; I can't remember). The waiting all takes place underground. I couldn't get a signal on my cell phone and when I tried to access the Free WiFi, I could connect, but had no internet access. And yet there were people who looked to be using smart phones, tablets and laptops, so maybe I was just in a hole or something. I probably could have gotten some work done, if I'd had internet, but alas, no luck. :) So I tried to work on my memory verses and watch people. It was a nice change in the routine.

The main thing I remember from Reno was that I was wearing those knee-high stockings with my pants. About an hour into sitting there, I recognized that one was black and one was tan. I really shouldn't dress in the dark. I think I managed to get them off and into my purse with no one noticing. Sure. This time I wore socks - white - both - double-checked.

It's pretty cool that you can get a free bus pass for the day with your jury summons. So Mike dropped me off and then when we got released I caught the bus back. Very convenient and saved the $6 for parking. They also had a little coffee counter and a pretty good selection of vending machines. My guess is they call about 2500 people per session, about half show and then another couple hundred claim exemptions or are disqualified onsite. So my room was around 300 people, and probably about 80 of us got released without even going to a courtroom. I had plenty of people to watch.

It's fun to watch people. It was really an interesting mix of folks:
Talkers
Too cool
Shy
Know-it-alls
Harried
Dazed and confused
Techno-geeks
Suits
Slobs
"Important"
Pearls
Hoodies
Experienced
Newbies
Take charge
Paper Books
Kindles
Houston Chronicle
New York Times
Ear buds
Hobbling
Belligerent
Large
Small
Good-Humored
Quiet
Can't sit still

Fascinating, Truly.

1 comment:

Mom said...

Yep. Been there, done that. I've been on one civil and one criminal jury. (El Paso) It is an interesting day. Even if you don't get picked.