Sunday, May 15, 2011

Reading Luke

Mike's been teaching our Sunday School class and we just started Acts. We did a quick overview of Luke to get our bearings before jumping in, and so I went back and started to read Luke again. Luke is the first book I journaled through many years ago, and I really haven't sat down and read through it again since.

With his journalism background, Mike makes a big deal about reading the Bible with intent, looking at the who, what, when, where, and WOW! as you go. I didn't know that was what I was doing when I started reading the Bible and journaling as I went along, but I did recognize I needed to study not just read. I was always pretty good in school, but never really developed study habits to speak of. So the journaling was a recommendation from a pastor or someone, and I gave it a try.

I am not journaling Luke this time, but instead I'm reading and pondering, and then looking back at my old notes. I find it interesting that some things that jump off the page at me now I barely mentioned back then and vice versa. A lot of my notes are unanswered questions. I thought I might impress myself with now knowing the answers. But some things like, "How would someone recognize an angel as an angel?" just don't have answers. And of course, "Why?" is always a toughie.

It's also been interesting to compare Luke to Matthew. Luke writes a great deal about John the Baptist's birth. Matthew doesn't mention it. Matthew goes into detail about the wisemen and Herod; Luke doesn't mention it. So, why? (I ask again.) Lots of speculation but no one can really know.

The mystery of the Bible is fascinating, puzzling and often frustrating! But I never get tired of diving in.

1 comment:

Mom said...

Pretty good book, The Bible. It fills a person's needs regardless of where they are in their spiritual journey. That might explain why you wrote the way you did in your journaling compared to how you see the readings now.