Saturday, May 7, 2011

My Mom

I recognize that somewhere in my teens my mom and I became a bit estranged. For whatever reason, we had a difficult time connecting. I honestly can't remember if there was a specific problem or if it was just a general phase. It lasted too long, and I'm pretty sure it was all me.

That being said, I'm so thankful that we (I) got passed that, because my mom is now my friend - my best friend, second only to my husband. I truly enjoy her and value what she has to say. She makes me laugh; she makes me roll my eyes; and she makes great enchiladas. :) Mom brings to life music and creativity, joy and energy, humor and love.

I can't imagine how hard it must be to be someone's mother. And the idea that you never stop being a mother once you are one, is overwhelming. I'm sure glad my mom became a mother, though.

There seems to be a bonding that takes place between a mother and daughter when the daughter takes her turn and becomes a mom herself. I used to be sad that my mom and I wouldn't share that. I also felt guilty for denying her something I imagine she would want. But now, I look at the relationship we do have, and I wouldn't trade it for anything - not for advice about diapers, tantrums or snotty noses; not for free babysitting or noisy holidays; and certainly not for a shoulder to cry on during those teenage years. I like just being us.

I love you, Mom. I love being your daughter. I love being your friend. I look forward to every opportunity to spend time together. See you next week. Happy Mother's Day!

2 comments:

Mom said...

Thank you for sharing these feelings and thoughts with me. I love you.

Mom said...

This means so much to me. I copied it and have it where I can read it from time to time. Thank you so much.