Saturday, March 12, 2011

Church People

Is it just me, or does everyone have a love/hate relationship with their church? People can be so annoying sometimes. I hear people, good people, say such ridiculous things sometimes, I wonder if they even hear themselves.

"Drums in worship is wrong - straight from the devil."
"We don't do that, we're Baptist."
"We don't want to draw the wrong kind of people."
"I'll stop giving if the pastor doesn't _____________."
"We've always done it this way."

I start to wonder if I make any of those type of ridiculous statements. Would I recognize it? A friend of mine says shes fasting from judgementalism for Lent. And I think, "How can you do that? If you knew you were being judgemental, would you normally still do it?" I guess I'm judging her for that, hmm?

Anyway, I do love my little church. They are frail humans, but they love each other the best they can, and try to let Jesus lead them in all they do. I just have to remind myself of that sometimes. :)

3 comments:

Mom said...

That's why it's called a "hospital fot sinners". If we were all perfect, then there would be no need for churches. We go to be healed spiritually and every time we leave with something that helps us grow in our spiritual journey. We had an especially good Sunday School discussion today and then when we went to church, it tied right into our S.S. lession. Coincidence? I don't think so.
Note: After you made your observation of your church (the people) you said, "I love my little church..." Just like God... he loves his people, wherever they are, regardless of where they are in their journey. Love you. Mom

Mom said...

I proofed this and still missed a typo..."hospital FOR sinners...sorry.

Gena said...

True, but we need to remember that church isn't just about our own growth, we're also there to help others grow. Seems like we all get caught up in what we need church to be and forget to ask what the church needs from us. And I'm always right there in the middle telling everyone else what they should be doing.:) Aren't I just so helpful?