Friday, April 15, 2011

Memory Update

So today I start on my 8th verse. I'm doing pretty well with the first 7 - really good at #1 from James! Still need 'hints' on some to get me started.

Mom asked how I decide which verses to memorize. I don't really have a method. Some of these come straight out of something I've been reading/studying already. It will just connect with me, so I do that one (like the verse from 1 Peter). Other times I do a search on a theme for something I need help with (like "peace" or "waiting"). Beth Moore always posts her verse, and sometimes I just say - yeah, that's a good one, and do that one, too. (Which is the case with today's verse.)

Speaking of today's verse: Isaiah 30:18 (NLT) - "So the Lord must wait for you to come to him so he can show you his love and compassion. For the Lord is a faithful God. Blessed are those who wait for his help."

It's pretty cool how these do pop into my head during the week. Even though I may not have it totally memorized, I'll think, "Hey, that reminds me of one of my verses - from James, maybe?" So I grab my little notebook and find it. And run through it again, trying to "transform my mind" and keep my focus on God and off me. (Not easy, I think about me a lot.)

2 comments:

Mom said...

I think about you a lot, too.:)

Gena said...

Thanks, Mom.