Saturday, January 23, 2010

Chosen?

So today I'm staring at 1 Peter 2:8, and I don't get it. My NLT version goes like this:

"And, 'He is the stone that makes people stumble, the rock that makes them
fall.' They stumble because the do not obey God's word, and so they meet the fate that was planned for them."

I get that Peter is quoting Isaiah in the first part. I get that "He" is Jesus. What I'm struggling with here is the "fate that was planned for them".

I know we're all on a dangerous path to Hell and the only way out is Jesus. But is that path really the "fate that was planned"? I can even go with the whole idea that Jesus causes people to stumble. I hear it all the time - the biggest problem people have with Jesus is His claim to be the only way to God.

In this chapter, Peter is talking about Christ as the cornerstone, and His followers are living stones of a spiritual temple, holy priests, a chosen people. So those who stumble over Jesus are left to their fate; those who embrace Christ are called out of the darkness.

This really, really makes it sound like the whole free will idea is false. God calls us - chooses us. Does that mean we don't have a choice? Did Peter just leave out the part where we answer the call? Or is that the part about obeying God's word - we have to choose that, right?

And if we're chosen, then that means God also chose (planned) those who would go to Hell. But Peter also says in 2 Peter 3:9 -

"The Lord isn't really being slow about his promise, as some people think. No, he is being patient for your sake. He does not want anyone to be destroyed, but wants everyone to repent."

I think that's pretty clear that God's choice is for all to return to Him. And if some don't, it must be because God lets us choose. So what's up, Peter, with this "fate that was planned"?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, Peter. And in what detail was that fate planned?

Lately I'm trying to wrap my head around the whole free will vs chosen thing, too, Gena. I'm glad it's not just me.

Tori

Gena said...

Hey, Tori -

I go around with this all the time. I think I understand that it's both - we have free will and God has a plan that we can't screw up. In my heart, I'm real secure in this, but logically, I can never work it out.