Friday, January 8, 2010

New Year

Happy New Year! I'm only a week behind....

So, the big holiday event this year was not Mom and Dad's trip up to see us in Houston and my bro and fam in Dallas. It was their change of plans that was big. Dad got home from a business trip to EP in time for a doctor's appointment the week before Christmas. They didn't let him go home until the day after Christmas, 5 days after a triple bypass. But he did go home! Mom is thrilled (I think Dad is pretty happy, too).

So, we all had our own little individual Christmases, with anticipated "in person" gifts having to be shipped late, etc. But it was all ok. Quiet. Personal. And then, Mike and I had the opportunity to go down to the island to see M & D for the New Year's weekend. We didn't want to be a burden, but I really wanted to see for myself that they were doing ok (see how I make it all about me - it's a gift). And we were invited, so that sealed the deal.

I am happy to report that they really are doing fine. Dad's moving slow, but is able to go up and down the stairs, etc. He gets tired easy (but I don't know if that's new!). We watched a heck of a lot of football, some basketball, and played Rummikub. I got Mom's Wii set up, and we bowled and golfed a bit (Dad preferred watching and laughing to actually playing).

I got the news yesterday that both of Dad's doctors (the cardiologist and the surgeon) have given him a clean bill of health. He's only cleared for desk work, but I don't think he minds too much. And the doctors don't want to see him for two or three months. (I think that's a good sign.)

So, 2010 is a fresh new start. And I'm calling it a new decade (after all a decade is ten years - there are no rules about when you have to start or end it). Who knew we'd live this long? It's all bonus time now, so it has to be good!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So glad to hear that your dad is on the mend so quickly!

Congrats on the new camera - you'll have a blast with it! :)

Mom said...

Thanks, daughter.