Tuesday, April 28, 2009

The Saga Continues

So the 4 little caterpillars turned into 20 voracious ones. (I don't really know how that happened, but I know it did - maybe they divide like amoebas or whatever it is that divides.) Anyway, our poor little milkweed was devoured. Just twigs now. And the squigglies crawled away. No idea where they went. Supposedly they don't go much further than 40 feet from home, but there's nothing within 40 feet worth eating, so desperate times must have called for desperate measures. One little caterpillar is left on the milkweed trying to get sustenance from the stalks. We have found 3 chrysalises (???) on the fence, so that's exciting. There should be a bit of fluttering in a week or so!

Sorry I don't have pictures. One of these days I'm going to get a digital camera. It's hard to keep up with all my technological needs. And it's embarrassing when my parents have more tech toys than I do. I may have to get cable before I get the camera though. The fancy digital converter box is not all it's cracked up to be. Or maybe satellite radio - then I wouldn't need the cable because we could listen to the baseball games. Oh and an MP3 player or iPod or something would be cool. And the GPS thingy. Or just the phone that does it all. But, let's see, where was I? Oh, yeah, caterpillars.

Actually, butterflies - they are the coolest things. How does a caterpillar turn into a butterfly? It's goofy! And these caterpillars were way too big to fit into these little cocoon thingies. The whole idea is even ridiculous. Who would come up with this!? And yet, somehow it's just a beautiful cool thing. Could it be a picture of the new life that happens when a person is born again? MMMMMaybe. Interesting, too, how butterflies don't make new butterflies, just new caterpillars.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My 8 year-old, Delaney, was just baptized, and we're studying butterfly life cycles in school. It was a nice tie-in. :) And yes, the whole caterpillar-butterfly-caterpillar thing is bizarre, but every time we study science, Delaney tells me, "God made us a perfect world, didn't He?"

Yeah He did. He made my 8 year-old more insightful than I am. ;)

Gena said...

8 year olds are pretty smart.