Sunday, May 3, 2009

Compassion


I am not known for my compassion. If anything, I am known for tactless sarcasm. So it may be a stretch for everyone to believe how moved I was by several appeals recently from Compassion International. Compassion International is that "sponsor-a-child" outreach to third world countries. I can't remember a time when I had not heard about Compassion International. Being somewhat jaded, aloof, and downright selfish, I had never considered actually sponsoring a child. Until now.

I can't tell you exactly why, but for the first time I guess I actually trusted the people who were showing me the "materials" - standard videos of poverty-stricken countries and sad, under-nourished kids. And these people are normal people who sponsor kids and have for a long time. Add to that the fact that Melissa Fitzpatrick (daughter of Beth Moore and highly respected blogger) is just now returning from a trip to Calcutta with Compassion International (complete with pictures and even video - see here - most of these kids are in the Compassion program and they look happy and healthy), and I suddenly felt that little tug. You know, that twinge in the heart area that makes your eyes fill up with tears and gives you a desperate sense of longing for something you can't name.

Well, after getting the thumbs up from Mike (more of a shrug and a "whatever", but I took that as a positive), I am now a sponsor. I chose a child. It's weird that you can pick one. It's like shopping online for the best birthday card, except you feel bad for the ones you don't pick. I am sponsoring a 10-year old girl in Ecuador named Ximena. She's not drop-dead adorable or anything, but something in her profile caught my attention. "She likes to tell stories." I love story-tellers (ex. Mike), but I also wonder if this is their gentle way of saying she's a liar (which I can also appreciate). Anyway, I took the plunge. I'm writing here before I write to her. I'm a little nervous about the actual making contact part - connecting.

So since most things aren't true until I say them out loud or post them on my blog, here it is. Once I hit that Publish button, it's real. I have to step out there and start writing those letters (the money is automatically charged to my debit card each month). I want to keep this overwhelmed, somewhat humble feeling of making a difference. I hope I can maintain this and see this little girl through the whole program (that's like, years....).

Any encouragement would be appreciated.


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Need some encouragement? Go see this blog: http://audreycaroline.blogspot.com/

She's in India, visiting "her" kids.

You've done a wonderful thing. I'm going to do the same when I go back to work next year.

Gena said...

Hey,thanks, Kel/ Audrey was on the same trip with Melissa. Cool that we're both following through two different people.

Gena said...

I mean Angie; Audrey is her daughter, I guess?

Anonymous said...

Okay, see, I should've made that connection because Angie loves and always talks about Beth Moore, too (and you're right, Audrey is her daughter!). :) And if I'm not mistaken, Pioneer Woman (thepioneerwoman.com) has worked with Compassion as well.

Mom said...

That's great, Gena. I support the Smile Train children. It's an organization that performs surgery on children that have cleft palets. It's neat to be able to help someone and you expect nothing in return. (It's that Mother/nuturing thing.