Thursday, June 5, 2008

Townhouses

After our last home-buying experience, we swore off the practice as something totally unnecessary. After all, who ever really owns their home anymore? The bank owns it, and makes a fortune off of it. And yet, you are totally responsible for the maintenance, insurance, pest control, etc. And these days, it ain't a given that the thing's appreciating in value. It's what we ex-Nevadans call a crap shoot.

Welcome to our new plan - the "owning" of a townhouse. Unlike a "real" house, other people are responsible for the lawn and bushes, the roof, the stucco, even the water heater (ok it's a boiler, whatever that is). I'm still not clear on who is responsible for exterminating the rats (I haven't actually seen any, but I've heard rumors). We pay for the inside insurance, they cover the outside. Granted we pay a fee for that stuff every month, but around here there are HOA fees when you buy a house, too.

So, we've made an offer. It was countered. We countered. She accepted. Addition to contract made; she signed. We might actually move in by the end of the month. I can't even tell if I'm excited - I think it's shock. The best part is the location. It's less than five minutes from the office. No more books-on-tape during my commute.

No comments: