Sunday, April 8, 2007

OK, Let's Get Focused

A few weeks ago I got new glasses. First pair of glasses I've bought in eight years. And until I put them on, I had no idea how bad my vision was; how much I wasn't seeing before. Suddenly, I don't mind driving at night. I don't get lost trying to get to a new place (I can read the street signs). There seems to be more light. It's great.

So here's the moral of the story: until things are in focus once again, we generally don't realize how far out-of-focus things had become. We muddle through life, just a little off kilter most of the time, and we don't have to. So, go get your eyes checked! (Open that Bible; listen to those sermons; pray and pray and pray!) And get yourselves refocused. You can live in the full light of God. It's brilliant!

I'm a subscriber to Tony Morgan's blog and have really been challenged and convicted by many of the thoughts he expresses. Today I read Stop Gunky Buildup, and I just really want to encourage everyone I know to read it, too. It's about how we are prone to wrong-thinking. And usually we aren't seeking to do evil, but good. It's really easy for the good things we do to get in the way of the great things we should be doing. We lose focus; we forget to prioritize; we fall into reactionary mode instead of planning. Tony gives us some useful advice on how to "degunkify" our lives. Step One - read the list. Step Two - don't forget to start doing the things on the list.

No comments: