Monday, April 30, 2007

Grace isn't fair

People seem to need religion -Like it's an anchor for morality, a reason to do what we all know is the right thing. What really makes Christianity different? I think it's grace. All other religions require "correct" behavior to appease God. Christianity doesn't require correct behavior. Christianity encourages correct behavior that is motivated out of love. We don't and can't earn God's acceptance. He's given it to us freely. We just have to accept His gift. The challenge then is to share it with others who don't deserve it anymore than we do. Our failure is when we start judging others instead of loving them. It's really hard -maybe so hard that we can only do it with God's help. As my husband often says, "I know Christ died for MY sins, but I'm having a hard time believing He died for YOUR sins." Our society is based on fairness and God's grace is not fair. No one deserves it. But it's available for anyone. This is something I can get intellectually, but I really struggle to live as if I believe it. So to those to whom I've been less than gracious, I apologize. Maybe someday, with God's help, I'll get it.

No comments: