Thursday, April 5, 2007

All about Easter

I can hardly comprehend the significance of Easter. I realize many people think Easter is about bunnies and eggs and spring, but I'm talking about Jesus. Mel Gibson's "The Passion of the Christ" was amazing in how it truly brought to life the last few days of Christ's life before and including the Crucifixion. And the story is pretty unbelievable, honestly. I mean, why would a person do that? I can see that for someone who isn't in a relationship with Jesus Christ, the whole thing looks pretty whacked - totally unjustified and maybe even avoidable. Even Paul mentions that we look like lunatics to those who don't have the indwelling of the Holy Spirit.

But sometimes God calls a person, takes hold of them and opens their eyes. He shows them the truth - that Christ wasn't just a person, He was God in the flesh. And what He did, how He died and rose again, was exactly what had to happen so that people could be reunited with God. And now that the sacrifice has happened, and Christ has conquered death, we get to choose whether to be in relationship with God or to continue life on our own. Our choice - wild, huh?

Of course, life on our own is really a form of death. I don't know who said it, but I heard a cool quote - "Earth is the closest some people will ever have to get to Hell; it's also, sadly, the closest some will ever get to Heaven." We get to choose God or not God. Most people who choose "not God" will tell you there is no God. Or that if God is really a loving God, He won't send anyone to Hell. Or that they are good enough on their own to get to Heaven. It's all rebellion, isn't it? or fear?

Oh, I know how hard it is to surrender control of my life to anyone, especially God. And I have to do it over and over again because I have a tendency to want to take over now and then (or most of the time). But see, I'm in the family now. I have accepted what Christ has to offer, and even though I falter and fail often, I will not be let go. God has a plan for me. And a lot of that means learning from my mistakes (or getting to go through it again until I do). Part of it is resting in Him. And most of it is my constant gratitude for the gift of life that I've been given - the second chance to do things right.

I pray that even though I can never fully understand all the things Jesus did and all the consequences and repercussions of His actions, I still may be a light that draws others to Him. Somehow my life will be a testimony of His grace and mercy, and maybe God will use me to reveal Himself to others. Wouldn't that be cool?

No comments: