Saturday, March 10, 2007

The Church

I am finding that my passion for THE Church is growing at a comparable rate to the growth of my frustration with individual churches. I so long for unified purpose among God's people, and so despise self-serving, separatist ministries. I want to be involved somehow in serving for His greater purpose and not a single ministry's purpose. But I work for a church, not the Church - or do I?

I recognize that I've become so negative about my church that I've lost sight of the fact that God has placed me here at this church for a purpose. Am I going to change everyone else's thinking? Am I called to lead the charge against silos and narrow mindedness from my desk beside the elevator room? Not likely. But I can do my part in keeping my focus on Him and not on me (and certainly not on "them"). By remembering that God has given me a heart for the Church and seeking to serve Him at this church in that context, perhaps I can get a handle on what He has for me.

When I got my first church job, my mother warned me about "feet of clay." Of course, I told her I knew that and my church was different. I've come to realize that my church isn't really different - it is still made up of humans with human weaknesses. I've also noticed that I am very ready to cut myself slack for my own failings, but am quick to judge when anyone else shows a less than Godly motivation. So apparently, God has some things to teach me yet. (I'm still here, aren't I?)

No comments: