Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Trust

I don't know why this has been on my mind today, but I think I need to spill it here.

Several months ago, I was listening to a conversation about heaven and how everyone has the option to go there, just some will never choose that option. [I agree with that, by the way. I don't know why it's true, it just is - the Bible spells it out pretty clearly. Some people just do not want to have anything to do with God - so heaven wouldn't be that great a place for them anyway.] So one of the people involved in the conversation said he just didn't think it could be heaven if all of his loved ones weren't there. If God really loved people, He would let everyone in.

I had a very cavalier comment to that (though I didn't say it out loud), but God doesn't make it a secret about how to get to heaven. He's real upfront about it - put your faith and hope in Jesus Christ (Romans 10:9). That's it - it's not be a good person, eat your vegetables and follow the ten commandments. No one would get in, if that were the case. Anyway, it ain't hard - just trust in Him. So if someone isn't in heaven, it's their own fault - their choice. You can't be mad at God about it. Besides, it isn't about us - it's about Him. He gets to do things His way - not our way.

But today, I got to thinking about how sad I would be to find certain important people from my life were missing from my eternity in heaven. I suddenly understood where this guy was coming from. I still believe it's their own fault, but I also understand how this person could say that he wouldn't want to be in heaven if his friends and family weren't there. Sure, sure - I'm a member of the family of Christ - I have millions of new brothers and sisters; but it's not the same. I want my husband, parent, sibling, friend to be there, too.

So I've come to this conclusion: Trust God. He made us the way we are, with our need for each other and our emotional attachments. He knows us. Somehow, whether the friends and family get a second chance or whatever, God will make it ok. Because He also says there will be no more sorrow when we get to heaven (Revelation 21:4). So I just have to let it go, pray for my loved ones, and know that God is in control.

No comments: