Monday, March 10, 2008

Rain

I love the rain, especially thunderstorms. I can't remember a time when I didn't love the rain. Even when I'm stuck in traffic going 10 mph on the freeway because of rain-induced slowdowns, I love the rain. I think some of it has to do with mostly living in deserts my whole life. But really what I feel when it rains is a sense of awe. Thunder and lightning are incredible and powerful and dangerous, making God seem BIG like He should seem; like He is. And rain is indiscriminate, life-giving, and makes the world seem smaller, softer. I love the smell of rain and the sound of rain. I love watching the clouds roll in and the sky get dark. I love the rain.

I have so many memories tied to rain. Living in Brownsville when I was little and being scared and excited by the thunderstorms. Being on campus in Arizona when a "monsoon" hit - it was unreal. Camp in New Mexico listening to the rain ping on the tin roof. Afternoons in Canyon when it would get so hot and then the thunderheads would roll in, the cows would line up single file and start walking home, and then big fat rain. Doing the show in the rain. Avoca, NY where if it wasn't snowing, it was probably raining. Riding the Judge Roy Scream at Six Flags with the rain like needles. I love the rain.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My feelings exactly. Mom