Sunday, September 23, 2007

Discrimination

I know it's not right, but I'm used to being dismissed because I'm a "girl". Most guys will deny it, but they still do it. And having lived with this, like most women, for my entire life, I accept it. I know who I am and of what I am capable, and I can dismiss the dismissals in my life. It's never slowed me down or held me back.

But last week I was discriminated against because I am a Christian. This was new for me. I've been teased for being a Christian, even laughed at, but never flat out denied something because of my beliefs. It's weird. I'm almost proud of having this happen. Jesus must shine brightly through me!

I keep thinking that this is where the world is going, though. More and more, Christians will find themselves being discriminated against and blatantly denied benefits, jobs, and basic rights. We can give in and deny Christ (which the Bible says many people will do) or we can cling to Him and let His light shine, simultaneously embracing discomfort, uncertainty and second class citizenship. Just remember to read the Book to the end! (God wins!)

No comments: